I am excited to write about all things I am passionate about...and some, well, that I may not be passionate about. But all things are happening in this LIFE. And, I want to document and have accountablity to living life with intention. And so it goes...

Thursday, February 11, 2010

And There was Lemon

I love the feeling of when she posts a new recipe and I have all of the ingredients on hand! It is awesome. Don't have to plan, get things at the grocery store, etc. It's just all there. Love it! When I saw
Olive Oil Cakes with Lemon and Thyme I almost skimmed over it because I did not have any fresh thyme on hand (imagine that, ha!). But as I read throught the recipe, she said she thought rosemary would be just as good. DING DING DING!!! I have fresh rosemary. And therefore, I was going to make
Olive Oil Cakes with Lemon and Thyme.

I will be honest here in saying that I did not like using a blender to mix these up. I would have rathered just used a good old mixing bowl and wooden spoon. I'm not sure that wouldn't have done a better job anyway. I was irritated because when I went to pulse it, it bubbled out the top leaving me with a huge mess. The sugar stuck to the bottom of the blender and I almost chopped up a spatula trying to scrape it all around the sides. Can you tell I was irritated with the blending process of
Olive Oil Cakes with Lemon and Thyme?

My favorite part about these cakes was using a fresh lemon. Again with my fresh ingredients, I know. I do know now that I need to get a better zester which would have made my life easier. I was also a bit intimidated by the rosemary and probably didn't use enough to make a difference. I could barely taste it. So what we ended up with was a very strong, "lemony" cupcake with an even stronger "lemony" icing. I thought they were good. They baked very pretty, and came out of the muffin tins super.

Natalie and Kassidy got in on the action of icing them and did a good job. Each of them enjoyed the muffins, Kourtney thought they were "ok", and Landon took one bite and gave me the face like he just bit in to a straight lemon. Steve did not even try them to my knowledge--he is NOT a lemon person. So, sorry PW--I did not enjoy the process of making them, and they didn't knock my socks off to where I want to make them again. If ever I am in the mood for lemon, I'll eat the Perfect Pound cake and leave the
Olive Oil Cakes with Lemon and Thyme for someone who enjoys using their blender.

No comments:

Recipes