I am excited to write about all things I am passionate about...and some, well, that I may not be passionate about. But all things are happening in this LIFE. And, I want to document and have accountablity to living life with intention. And so it goes...

Monday, January 11, 2010

Breakfast Woes--Part 1

I don't know about all of you, but breakfast is the hardest meal of the day for us at our house. Steve and I have always maintained that we would NOT cook different meals for different kids just because they didn't like something. And we have stuck to that, EXCEPT for when it comes to breakfast...

Maybe it's because Steve is the only true "morning person" in our house. Or maybe it's because we just can't handle the whining in the morning. I don't know what it is, but breakfast time stinks at our house. Steve and I are great with our morning coffee and Oat Squares. We could have it every day and we would be plum happy. Kourtney could eat cereal every day also and be as happy as a clam. Natalie will NOT TOUCH ANY CEREAL!! Only if I am adamant with her that cereal is all we have to eat at the time, will she eat it. Landon would eat oatmeal every day and never gripe about it. But try getting him to eat other things, it's a gamble. Kassidy doesn't give us too much trouble for breakfast---for her, it's the other meals. All four of them know that going without breakfast is NOT an option here. So, if they don't like what we're having, they have to get it themselves.

That being said, I made what I thought was an awesome breakfast today. I had leftover cinnamon roll dough and remembered looking at this recipe for Monkey Muffins. So at 6:30 this morning I filled my muffin tins and made my little dough balls. Let them rise while Steve and I drank our coffee the 30 minutes before we get the tribe up. After a shower, I stuck them in the oven at 7:15 and they were done by 7:35. Realize, I am feeling mighty proud of myself for planning ahead this morning. And it's even a Monday!

Imagine my dismay when Natalie is yelling from the kitchen that I am burning things. Actually, nothing burned, but the butter that I put on the top of the dough had spilled out over the top and was on the bottom of my oven producing a heavy smoke when opening the oven door. ( Sorry to all in our neighborhood who may have seen me in my bathrobe this morning when Natalie promptly opened the deck door to air out the house) Anyway, I would say the Monkey Muffins were DEFINITELY worth the black lung!!! They are awesome. But remember what I said about breakfasts at our house??? Kourtney took one bite and opted for yogurt, and still as I type I have not convinced Landon to try them. Between Nat, Kass, and I we about had the whole dozen eaten.

Two problems: 1.) Overspillage into the oven (maybe don't add the pat of butter on top?)
2.) I only drizzled the sweetened condensed milk over the rolls, so what do I do with the leftover sweetened condensed milk????

Otherwise, I LOVE this recipe and will definitely be adding it to our "not so loved" breakfast repertoire.

***Update: They may be worth the black lung, but I'm not sure about the last hour of cleaning my oven..."

No comments:

Recipes