I am excited to write about all things I am passionate about...and some, well, that I may not be passionate about. But all things are happening in this LIFE. And, I want to document and have accountablity to living life with intention. And so it goes...

Monday, April 12, 2010

Coq Au Vin--Excuse me?

I mean really. What an odd name? I am sure it means something in like French perhaps? I'm gonna have to google that...


Ok, got it. It's a dish of chicken cooked in red wine. And that's right. It's exactly what it is. Coq au vin is a flavorful French dish---wow a French dish---never cooked a French dish!?!
Well judging from my critics from the oldest to the very youngest, we should maybe live in France. HA!
To begin with, I am not a huge fan of bacon (or pork, for that matter). But I really believe you would not attain the rich flavor of this dish without the peppered bacon. You render the fat basically and cook everything else with it. Then for the finale, you bake it all together for an hour and a half. What you are left with is flavor. Plain and simple, flavor. Red wine which has simmered with all of the bits left in your pan is poured over everything to even further enhance the pepper, garlic, onion, bacon, and chicken. I used only chicken breasts, although the recipe calls for a whole chicken. I also cooked penne pasta instead of linguine. You can adapt to what you have in your kitchen. And of course the fresh parsley was a very nice added touch.
This recipe is a keeper. Try it. You won't believe how easy it is to make a French dish!

No comments:

Recipes