I am excited to write about all things I am passionate about...and some, well, that I may not be passionate about. But all things are happening in this LIFE. And, I want to document and have accountablity to living life with intention. And so it goes...

Thursday, March 11, 2010

By request...Grandma's Mac and Cheese


A sweet request from a friend prompted this post of Grandma's Mac and Cheese recipe.

Warning: This recipe is so fattening, I am gaining weight while sitting here thinking about it.

Also, there is no real recipe for her macaroni and cheese. Likewise with many of her other recipes. Which can be really annoying to those of us who want explicit directions and pay attention to every detail. I will do my best to tell you how to make the 'roni's that are out of this world, ok?

*Boil your macaroni---about 4 cups or so. Give or take. Adjust other ingredients to match macaroni amount. Boil al dente--not quite done. How's that for a PW term?

*Next drain your macaroni and put back in your pot and cover with half and half and a stick of butter, salt, and pepper. You should have enough half and half that it covers the macaroni but does not drown them, if that makes sense. You do not want them to be too dry, but neither do you want them to be too juicy. It is VERY important to get enough salt in there. You want the mixture to taste salty when you try it. Believe me, this is the key to making this dish good. It has to have adequate enough salt before it is baked.

*Next, to that same pot, add about a 1/2 of a large rectangle of velveeta cheese. (I know, these directions are ridiculous, but you'll love the end result--hang with me here!)

*Keep that cooking on the stove until most of it is melted. Once melted, pour into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.

*Bake at 350 degrees for a good 45 minutes. You want your macaroni to be brown and crusty on the top, but creamy and gooey on the inside.

This macaroni and cheese is delicious! But then again, it's what we're used to and have grown up with for the last 3o years or so...
Thanks Mom for the yummy, tried and true recipe!!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

THANK YOU!!! You are the sweetest! This mac-n-cheese sounds delicious...how can it be bad with cream, butter and velveeta?? I can't wait to try this recipe on my boys! I am going to make this recipe with bar-b-que chicken on Sunday :)
Thanks again for the recipe and for the entertaining blog!!

Rhonda said...

That recipe is exactly like my mother's and my mother-in-law's recipes! Not because it's mac-n-cheese, but because it is NOT REALLY A RECIPE! Just use "a little of...", or "cover noodles with....". What is it with that generation?!? My mom always complained that she couldn't keep me in the kitchen. Maybe if she would have given me an actual recipe with MEASUREMENTS to use once in awhile it would have helped! I laughed the whole way through reading this post!

Steph said...

Oh yes, Rhonda...the times that I actually have a written out recipe from my Mom with actual ingredients and measurements, it never turns out like hers. So what does that tell you?! HA!

Recipes